Saturday, January 26, 2008

Saturday Morning Cartoons

While Joy was showering today, I was installing things on the computer and decided that since it was Saturday, I ought to enjoy my Saturday Morning Cartoons. So I popped in my new VeggieTales Silly Songs collection and let the silliness go on while I installed needed programs on the new computer.

But I decided I wasn't multitasking enough and thought I ought to read the articles for our next Friday Forum, the Institute class I team teach with Eliza Brown this semester. Next week we're reading the three talks Elder Quentin L. Cook, our newest apostle, has given in General Conference.

I found this rather more difficult than my usual multitasking, though, and I decided I wasn't concentrating enough on Elder Cook. So I paused the cartoons so I could read through a page. At the bottom of the page, I read the following:

-------------------------------
We are often unaware of the distractions which push us in a material direction and keep us from a Christ-centered focus. In essence we let celestial goals get sidetracked by telestial distractions. In our family we call these telestial distractions "Saturday Morning Cartoons."
(Elder Quentin L. Cook, October 1996 General Conference)
-------------------------------

He goes on to explain that, during a father/son conversation, his five yr old told him he didn't want to be a doctor anymore because his uncle the doctor had to work Saturdays sometimes, and he didn't want to miss Saturday Morning Cartoons. So "Since that time our family has labeled a distraction from a worthwhile goal as a Saturday Morning Cartoon."

It was hilariously appropriate.

No comments: