Saturday, January 26, 2008

The difference between men and boys ....

... Is the size of their toys.

Last week, I finally broke down and got myself a new computer. My old one has lasted me for four years until it's getting very difficult to transfer files between my computer and any other. Since this is a requirement for being able to graduate, the Time Had Come.

I stuck with Dell thanks to their great customer service on our laptop (which has been broken this last week, but a techie came in last night to fix it again). I spent a good portion of the last week installing software and music to the new computer to prepare it for the last big shove (shovel?) of dissertation work ... but a lot of programs were having serious problems. I spent nearly all of Friday online with Dell -- being very thankful for my break for Friday Forum and a date with Joy to see the waterfall paintings at the Cornell art museum done by an econ grad student's father -- only to be told by day's end that the problem was with Vista and I'd have to reformat the hard drive.

ARG! "EEEK," said my lady. But that deed is done now too, and as I reinstall things, they do work much better than they were; so hopefully there won't be anymore such difficulties.

My new, up to date graphics card I put on it and the flat screen monitor that came with it ... are sweet. My games never looked so good. Nor played so quickly. I haven't had much time to try that out, but the preliminaries are ... promising.

So that makes a new computer and a new car all in one week by necessity. Our pocketbook is due back from the ER sometime in March ... when it'll take another hit.

PS - That isn't all I did this week. I made some good progress on my dissertation too in terms of organization and how to structure my arguments. I also found some much needed literature back up. But it was a blow.

No comments: