Saturday, January 12, 2008

I've been tagged ... three

Hokay, let's spread some random factoids.

Name 4 or more...

Places I've lived:

1. I lived for three months in a brown paper bag in a septic tank.
Joy: Are you really saying that?
Yes.
J: Where was that? "It was in my parent's basement. They never knew!"
It's not true. It's a Monty Python gag.
2. I've lived in denial
It's a pretty nice place, isn't it?
Well, it is, but they deny it.
3. On the lamb.
You're full of it tonight. We haven't let you play enough today. You're jumping out of your skin here.
4. In the love of my Lady. That's the best one of all.

Try that one again:
1. Kahleeforrnia, land of the fruits, nuts, and assorted flakes
2. In the ghetto of a backwoods former East German town, next to the Polish border. Don't ask, you couldn't pronounce it anyway.
Eyes n' hooten stadt.
Close enough.
3. Happy Valley (Provo, Utarrr)
4. 10 Square miles surrounded by reality (Ithaca, NY)

Places I've been on vacation: I'll try to hit places Joy didn't mention.
1. San Diego -- We got married there, and I've visited Sea World with my parents Waaay back when.
I've been there too!
2. Old Tucson AZ -- I went to the tourist attraction that resembles Old Tucson with Grandma during the summer I lived with her. The lights went out in the saloon during a heavy thunderstorm and they asked me to play the honky tonk piano to entertain the crowd. I did about the only song I had memorized: Book of Mormon stories.
Are you serious?
For once. I was about 9. I played it through a couple times, getting faster and people clapping and stomping. The cowboy in charge had me stop, lest they have to pay me. They gave me a Coke. Good times.
3. Church history sites throughout the Midwest and Northeast.
4. Canada. Joy and I heard that laughter is the best medicine, so we went across the border for some cheap laughs. Actually, we went to the Toronto Temple and to dinner as part of our first date. It was a good time.
5. Poland. For about 5 minutes. Fulfilled a longtime former missionary's dream, those 5 minutes did.

Foods I like:
1. Pizza. Extra cheese, pepperoni, Italian sausage, pineapple. Occasionally mushrooms or other meat for variety.
2. Hamburgers. It is VERY difficult to get a good burger here in Ithaca. The Wendy's gave me food poisoning three times in a row, so I can't go there anymore. I'm glad the one at the mall went out of business. I wonder if it serves them right? The best burgers are at FATBURGER.
3. After those two, I feel it incumbent on me to come up with something healthy, lest I betray all the nutrition based training I've gotten through Per and his coworkers... I like whole wheat bread, with very little processing, lots of fiber, some vollkorn on the top... Good stuff.
4. Peanut butter (preferably with chocolate, celery, or a sandwich)
5. Chocolate (preferably with nuts or peanut butter.) German and Swiss chocolate rule.
6. Fatigmand -- Scandinavian Christmas cookie, a family secret recipe
7. Eggs with a runny yolk but thoroughly cooked white.
yeaaaahhhhh.... *longingly* I don't get to eat that until I'm done being pregnant.
8. Favorite cuisines: Thai, Chinese, Greek and Italian, German, Scandinavian.
9. Favorite homemade dinners: beef stroganoff, goulash and cornbread, chili cornbread, Chinese casserole, tri-tip steak, Grammy's yams, chocolate pecan pie, Joy's funeral potatoes, Father and Son macaroni and cheese, Frau Maske's rouladen and Kasslepfanne (I think that's what it was called) with "real" German potato salad.

Hobbies I have:
1. Play piano and organ. The next instruments I intend to learn are: accordian, bagpipe, and viola, though I haven't decided on the order yet.
2. Learning about languages and cultures, especially through their literature. I love reading history as well. Last year I studied the biographies of several WWII leaders, started reading a couple textbooks on Islam, and read White Castle by the Turkish winner of last year's Nobel Prize for literature. I speak fluent German and am learning Spanish.
3. Computer games.
Especially the ones about other cultures and civilizations.
It is true. I am highly addicted to the Civilization series. I like games with good economic models in them, but not stock market games. I enjoy RPG, but not if it's pure hack n' slash. I try to avoid first person shooters unless the story line really deserves it, like a few Star Wars titles have.
4. I enjoy walking with my wife, playing racquetball, swimming, bicycling (though I haven't since we got married), and I used to be in a bowling league.
5. I'm writing a fiction novel.

Things I would do if I were a billionaire:
1. Give generously to the Church
2. Ensure my family's financial security (own a reasonable, NOT extravagant house, set up a small trust fund)
3. Set up a larger trust fund to fight hunger around the world and support other worthy development goals
4. Okay, now I need to find some totally unworthy thing I would splurge on after all that very honestly, seriously meant stuff half of you will think was cheese.
I could make a guess. It's really out there, though. I don't know if I'd be right.... You would buy something so that you could do game theory and create your own economics experiments and games.
An interesting idea. The one extravagance I really would like in a house would be a library, rather like the one in Beauty and the Beast. The ladder that scrolls around to see the books, a piano, fireplace, large windows. Comfortable chairs, some for falling asleep in and other for more serious study.
I like libraries.
It would also be nice to be able to upgrade my computer as often as I liked without worrying and to be a perpetual student, ever learning different subjects and sharing that knowledge as well. I could easily spend the Millennium that way, when money isn't important.

TV shows I like: Let's see, what do I actually miss?
1. Dodger baseball
2. Any Star Trek, though Enterprise had a number of episodes that were too racy for me.
3. Junkyard Wars
4. Iron Chef, but that's canceled
5. History Channel and PBS Mysteries
6. I miss good Saturday morning cartoons. The kind they could produce, but don't anymore.

Places I'd like to be:
1. Right here, next to my sweetheart.
2. Employed at my #1 pick ... which I will hold off mentioning until I find out where I'm actually going.
3. In the temple.
mmmm. Me too!
4. Far in the future, when all the trials are over and we get to sit back and say, "Yes, it all came out just right. Not how I anticipated, but Right nonetheless." When worry and fear and tears are passed and all things are become new.
And to get there ... that's what we spend each day doing.

Things people don't know about me:
1. I may do fine performing for a large group or in small group conversation, but I hate socializing in large groups. They make me very uncomfortable and insecure. It's much better since I got married and always have somewhere I can go and someone I can talk to. Joy keeps an eye on me to see when I've had enough and offers kindly to take me home.
2. People don't know how strongly I feel through music. It is one of the most direct and profound ways I feel God's influence in my life. Playing hymns or uplifting sacred works is the most transcendent thing in the world for me.
3. What don't people know about me, Joy?
That you're a cute cuddly bear.
Actually, I tend to think that's a good thing.
They don't always know your generous nature.
I have a strong desire to serve and help others, but I feel very backward socially in many areas, and so I really don't ... come off that way. Joy's helping me get better.
4. The best calling I ever had ... was in Nursery. I was afraid of it at first, largely because I was afraid the kids would reject me, cry if I came near them, that sort of thing. But we really grew to love each other and have just this wonderful time together. It made me VERY excited for becoming a dad.
5. I played on our church basketball team when we won the regional championship. I don't shoot, but I do excellent man-on-man defense and I'm great at keifing the ball.
Josh Price, don't read this. j/k

Now I'll tag
1. Benji Harry
2. Marcy Green
3. Fozzie Bear
4. Hyrum

No comments: