Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Genie Lost Control

Ok, so I was in Genie when she lost control. Genie is our 1996 Mercury. We had just decided that we had to get new tires. Our auto mechanic told us that the cords in our tires were showing and we came to realize that we just couldn't find a new car before we needed to use this car in the SNOW!

I was not feeling well today anyway, but I had found a place I could get an inexpensive tire and was on my way to get it (by the way I also had an appointment in two days to get all of our tires replaced at our favorite mechanic). The weather was bad, roads possibly slippery and I was nervous about going to get the tire, but I went anyway. Yes, the roads were slippery, very. Infact the roads were so bad that the tow truck that my insurance contacted latter would not come and get my car tonight because they were afraid of getting in a wreck on there way or with my car as it was towed.

I was being very careful in my driving, going under 15 miles an hour when I came up to the aweful hill. My task was to go down it successfully. Ithaca is just a lot of hills, so it can be difficult to decide the best hills to tackle in bad weather. Half way down the hill, I tested my brakes a little because I could see cars at the bottom of the hill and didn't want to hit anyone or anything, Well, my car just started skidding without any slowing, so I put it into a lower gear without any effect either. The hill was just getting steeper, so I knew I wouldn't be able to stop at the bottom.

I decided my only option was to try and get off the road hoping that something else would stop me. I tried turning to the right first. As I turned to the right curb my car immediately found the metal railing that is supposed to keep cars in. (See Derrill showing how tall that thing is.) Luckily it was just beginning, so I went right over it. well part way. It was a little like my car was a skateboard and my car was riding the rail. I am sure it did some damage to the bottom of my car. Although it slowed me down a little my car did not stop, so I decided to try the virtue of the left curb. Amazingly I was able to get off the rail -- still don't know how I managed -- and no one was approaching on coming on the Left (gratefully), so I turned left. I was able to go up the dirt a ways and my car finally stopped.

I was able to start my car again or it was still, so I decided that now that I was stopped I should try to get to the bottom of the hill. People in cars saw my antics and stayed out of my way. By this time thankfully my front two tire were flat, so I had some great traction, got down the hill slowly and pulled into a parking lot at the bottom.

I then was able to get a hold of my husband, who picked me up and I left a note for the church in whos parking lot my car still lies. I am so grateful to be unharmed and that I was able to keep from harming anyone or anything else (the metal railing was not harmed in the making of this film). So insurance is contacted an all is again well in the Watson household. Only God could have made all go so well, we thank him in every prayer

Update: The verdict is in. The appraiser has officially declared our car totaled. The scrape damaged the engine, the transmission, the suspension, the shocks, and who knows what else.

No comments: