Sunday, February 28, 2010

A Non-Goal

I was reading a friend's blogpost tonight about setting some highly qualitative (unmeasurable) goals about character.
You see, [her husband] looks at goals as useless. Instead, he prefers to think about the person he wants to be. He considers the qualities he wants to have. And then, he tries to simply do those things that will bring him there. I know, it honestly is just a different way of making goals, right? :)
She then invited us to share ours. The last few months, I have been struggling between learning to be content to be who I am and knowing that who I am now is weak and flawed in myriad ways that need eventual change to become the kind of person I want to be and that I imagine God wants me to be. It's very hard for me to figure out which things I can say:

A) This is who you are, and that's okay.
B) This is who you are now, and that's okay for now, and it will be okay for a long time to come. If an opportunity comes to work on it, you might as well take it because there is another person you would eventually like to become.
C) This is who you are now, and that's okay for now, but it may not be sufficient tomorrow. Put some real effort into it.
D) Repent. Now.

My non-goal is to find a greater peace with my progression.

No comments: