Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Hyrum's True Love de Jour

"Daddy, do we have to do this?"

As you said, Hyrum, I've been itching for it since you were a twinkle, and now I've figured out a way to do it. I'll replace it just as soon as you talk in adorable sentences and say 'the darn'dest things.' Besides, it's all in the name of cuteness.

"Well ... if it's cute, alright."

And now, ladies and gentlemen, may I draw your attention to the right where you will find a new feature, "Hyrum's True Love of the Day." Hyrum throws himself into anything that takes his fancy with a passion. Some of them last for months, some for only a day. What floats his rubber ducky today? Find out on the handy little list on the right.

Today's true love, for instance, is the song "Seventy-Six Trombones" from The Music Man. After I read him a scripture story, we watch it on TV and then I put in something he has never seen before to try to expand his repertoire. That's how he got introduced to the oft-mentioned Firebird Song, Duck Song, Whale Song, and so on. Today I asked him which DVD he wanted to see and he picked the never-opened copy of The Music Man. I knew he had liked 76 Trombones back at Thanksgiving, so thought I'd reintroduce it to him in living color. The whole rest of the morning, it was all we could do to get him to ask for "more peaches" for breakfast, so eager was he to ask for and conduct the "Trombone Song."

No comments: