Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Hyrum's dream come true

Hi there. Hy here.

I had the most magical Christmas Sunday yesterday! I just had to tell you about it. Last week was the Christmas Sunday at our branch and yesterday was the Christmas Sunday at Pop and Grandma Boo's ward. Mom was in charge of the first, Pop in charge of the second.

I liked Mom's: Dad and someone else read me the story of the nativity and the choir sang songs. I wanted to go up and join them, walking back and forth in front of them and helping the conductor when I think he needs it; Mom kept me safe, though, and I rewarded her by being reverent the whole time.

I really liked the music Pop picked. Dad asked me after each song if I liked it. It wasn't really my normal type of music, but after giving it due thought, I would say to him, "'gain."

Then Dad got up to join the choir. What was going on? Dad sat at the piano and started playing my anthem: The Hallelujah Chorus!

I stood up. I was so excited! I conducted a LIVE choir singing my anthem! I was in heaven. It was the most glorious experience ever!

I had lots of people come up to me after the program to congratulate me on my conducting. I had perfect timing over much of it. I reminded everyone of my talented, exuberant Pop who also led the music. Mom and Dad just couldn't get away from the throngs of people saying how talented, cute, adorable, special, musical, chip-off-the-old-block I am. Facebook was atwitter all night with reports. Pop admitted he and Boo had considered announcing there would be a guest conductor for it, but there was no need. Everyone saw me stealing the show.

Proud? Me? I'm just reporting the honest facts. It was a pity Dad and Pop couldn't see me much, but Dad said he really wished he had had permission to use a video camera.

Dad's already mentioned my growing love of the Chorus twice. That's not the half of it. The night he posted about it last, he made an announcement at the dinner table: There will be no more "yeah" in this house! "Yeah" does NOT mean Hallelu-yeah anymore. If I wanted to listen to the heavenly song, I must say "Chorus."

That night, I learned to say "Chor" and by the next day, I had perfected my first two-syllable word: Chorus. I say it every 5 minutes at least. Chorus. Chorus. Chorus. Dad. Chorus! I've listened to the Chorus over 200 times (according to the computer) in the last 10 days. Aunt Emilee put an embargo on it today: anything but the Chorus. I'm very proud of my Dad, who can play it on piano for me any time I want. I also decided Mom and Dad singing it together do a good job, and accepted their unaccompanied version on the plane.

Pictures of this magical Christmas are forthcoming. I'm having so much fun in California!

1 comment:

Grandma Jule said...

May I request, when you compile my set of Christmas pictures, that you include the video you took of Hyrum conducting the Hallelujah Chorus? (The long one that wouldn't upload, please!) I simply MUST have that in my family history files!!!

Thanks SO MUCH!!
Love,
Mom