Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Don't Hear That Every Day

Ithaca has a semi-annual book sale with some amazing sale prices, so we try to go. The only problem is that it's no fun for Hyrum, and that means no fun for whichever of us is caring for him. Tonight I asked him at one point if I should sing to him. He wanted "Feed the Birds" from Mary Poppins. Not too surprising given this is one of his most requested songs recently. So I sang the words I knew a few times ... and a few more times ... and a few more as we wandered through the mystery/thriller section. Hyrum was happy and peaceful so long as the bard kept on singing.

When we rounded a corner, we were stopped by another shopper who wanted to tell me what a golden, beautiful voice I had. She had always liked that song and I sang it so well. It was just a pleasure to hear, she added.

Don't hear that every day. She said it so warmly I could do little but thank her and return to the song when she urged that she hadn't meant to interrupt.

No comments: