Friday, June 5, 2009

Hy pays attention

Hyrum missed his second nap today. That means the evening was proceeding ... less than optimally and Mama was at the end of her rope. We were talking about getting Hy ready for bed about an hour early when I remembered we hadn't read scriptures with him yet. There was no way he was going to sit quietly through them tonight, though.

Then I got a wonderful idea. I sat Hy in my lap and turned on the Mormon Tabernacle Choir singing "We Are Sowing" on the laptop with some pretty fountains playing during the music.

Hyrum was enthralled.

He sat, staring intently, mesmerized by the music. Mama and Dada sang along with them. When it was done, he continued to sit quietly for a second, then took in a deep breath and let it out with satisfaction.

We bore testimony to him about the important lessons in that song, and how they tied in with our scripture reading. I read him the page out of the Book of Mormon. Then we spent another half hour listening to "We are Sowing," "This is the Christ," and "I'm Trying to Be Like Jesus." Hyrum just sat in my lap, occasionally leaning in to me comfortably. SUCH a Spirit of peace and love and transquility had come to our home, "Mommy and Daddy cried," adds Joy.

How thankful we are for sacred music and for a son who loves it.




(Mind, he also was also excited today by the Beach Boys singing "California Girls" while he ignored Bach, Beethoven, and Bizet playing from Dad's office over the baby monitor.)

No comments: