Saturday, June 27, 2009

Can anyone think of an example.....

of a goatee-wearing lead in a romantic comedy?

You see, the vast majority of movie and TV characters with goats are bad guys: Humperdink's evil sidekick (the guy with six fingers who killed your father); anyone on an Enterprise ship other than Riker with facial hair comes from an alternate, EVIL, dimension or is a Klingon (evil until the Berlin Wall fell); Han Solo and Knight Rider's evil twins have goats; even the villain in Lion King adds a goatee to his mane. A website full of examples of the Beard Of Evil exists if you doubt the phenomenon.

I grant that there are 'anti-hero' protagonists whose job is to maim and kill as many people as possible or whose allegiances are clearly questionable who sport goats (Jack Sparrow, post-Gorbachov Klingons). Athletes do not grow goatees in order to show their caring, compassionate nature.

These are not romantic leads or traditional good guys. I mean, can you think of anyone in a goatee playing opposite Meg Ryan or Julia Roberts?

This is a matter of mild concern to an avowed goody-two-shoes whose wife likes him to sport the occasional goatee.

The first time she had me grow a beard and shave it down to a goat, I did a little editing of the picture to express my concerns about it...









UPDATE: In today's comics we see the emergence of a "second, evil head." Can you guess what it has?

3 comments:

Derrill Watson said...

Joy here, upon seeing the picture of Derrills goatee, says, "I love that picture" (smiling prettily).

Grandma Jule said...

I believe the Three Muskateers are considered "good guys," and the last time I watched that film, they all had goats . . . along with luxurious 'stashes. . .

Desi said...

As one married to another avowed goody-two-shoes, I love him in a goatee! I'd begged for years for him to try one. He did grow a beard about a year out of BYU, but didn't try the goatee until late last year. I LOVED it! He actually enjoyed it more than he thought he would. Oddly, he was concerned about the same thing as your post points out - only bad guys have goatees.

Maybe that's why we as women like them so much! There's always the saying that the girls love bad boys....

Plus, there's the time I made a comment to an ex that I loved his facial hair (Rick had just shaved....), the next week - Rick's goatee was back! Maybe it's just a simple consession for our good men to let us enjoy the look without changing anything about the good nature we fell in love with!