Sunday, March 22, 2009

What We're Reading

Joy just finished "Abram's Daughters" a five book Amish romance that I'm encouraging her to blog about. Given that she got it for Christmas and finished it last week, she liked it a lot.

I am reading the third book in Star Trek's "Captain's Table" series as told by Sisko (it's alright), Yearbook by Ally Condie (more addictive than advertised with strong character development), and Fire in the Bones the biography of William Tyndale who translated the Bible into English. For work, I'm rapidly studying up on the foundations of ethics so I can write a chapter on Ethics and the Food System. This week I started thinking that it's been a few years since I last read my Tolkein, so I may head back to that soon.

Together we recently finished The Princesses of Bamarre (Joy's choice) and are nearly done with the second Harry Potter book (mine). I'm not sure what Joy will choose for our next one, but after that I think we'll be getting back to books 4 and 5 of the Chronicles of Narnia.

Hyrum spends the most time playing with the copy of the Book of Mormon we got him for his birthday, Goodnight Moon, and Brown Bear, Brown Bear. He's paying more attention when we read to him. He recently heard about Little Red Riding Hood in English and German, Brer Rabbit and Brer Alligator, and Horton Hatches the Egg. Some days he gets to join us at Hogwarts.

In the scriptures, I just finished Envy and today will be reading in the Book of Mormon about Ephraim (lot of Isaiah quotes) and Epistles before moving to Equality and Equity later in the week, and I'm in John 5 in the New Testament. Joy is ... somewhere further than the last time I talked to her, probably in Chronicles. [Up from her nap, she reports that Ammon is teaching King Lamoni and that "Chronicles is very difficult."] Hyrum just heard about how Nephi had to flee his brothers (2 Nep 5) and the TV helped Joy tell him about Alma's mission in Ammonihah. Joy and I are keeping up on our Sunday School reading in the Doctrine and Covenants, so we've got someone in every book of scripture this year!

In other media, we finished "the good part" of The Happiest Millionaire this week and are about to watch Darby O'Gill with our good friends, the Petersons, both for St. Pat's. We also recently finished Savannah Smiles about a little girl who runs away with two conmen whose hearts are softened by her tender smile. It goes down in history as having the most ambiguous ending of all time from a cheesy movie. I haven't quite finished Labrynth on my own yet and after that I'll finish West Side Story which we started together but now that Maria's brother is dead, Joy has no interest in seeing the sad parts. Hy has seen part of Monsters, Inc., Bambi, and Fantasia 2000. He prefers watching Wii. Joy continues enjoying the 6th season of Little House on the Prairie. "Yeah, I'm on the 5th CD."

No comments: